Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday, July 10

I woke up this morning with very little to say. I am putting strings on ukuleles. I checked the game cameras to see if hogs have been in or around the trap (no luck there).

A friend has the following signature on his email. "If you want to become a better woodworker, do more of it." I began this blog in 2006 with the idea that in order to get people interested in hands-on learning, I could improve as a writer, and to do so, I should write everyday, whether I felt like it or not. And the same applies to anything that one chooses as a long term goal. It can be called the daily grind. It requires putting something first.

Discipline is at the heart of all development.  Applying oneself in steady effort, one begins to understand what things (steps, and ideas) are absolutely essential to the process or product, and what things can be safely stripped away.

It's called "practice." And it separates the trivial and non-essential from crap.

Have I said nearly enough for one day? Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand words. The image above is from Gustaf Larsson's book Educational Sloyd and Whittling.

Make, fix, create, and increase the odds that others learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment