Monday, December 04, 2017

Woodworkers' desk vise.

The photo shows my new desk vise based on a common woodworker's hand screw. It can be easily and cheaply made and allows students to do woodworking in a conventional classroom, using tables or desks. It can hold wood for sawing, drilling planing and assembly. I will have my students at the Clear Spring School test it to make sure it works. The one difficulty I anticipate is that the screws work at cross purposes to each other and take some time to figure out. The desk vise will not be as easy to operate as a common wood working vise.

Today will be a busy day. I have high school students in the morning to begin our unit on boat building, and my elementary school students will work on Christmas presents in the afternoon.

For Christmas presents of your  own, hand screws like the one I used to make the desk vise are on sale at this site. http://www.rockler.com/wooden-handscrew-clamps-clamps

We are down to about 22 making days before Christmas.

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning likewise.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:06 AM

    Good opportunity to introduce the difference between right hand and left hand thread.
    Can you permute the hardware to make them easier for lefties? (not that I am concerned).
    Sylvain

    ReplyDelete